Advancing the Rights of Arab Bedouins in the Negev/Naqab
A joint project of the Negev Coexistence Forum for Civil Equality and Adalah| Funded by the European Union
This two-year joint EU-funded project led by Adalah and the Negev Coexistence Forum (NCF) began on 1 October 2018 and will run through 30 September 2020. The project aims to advance the human rights of 240,000 Arab Bedouin citizens of Israel living in the Negev/Naqab, both in unrecognized and recognized villages and towns.
The Bedouin citizens in the Negev/Naqab are the most marginalized sub-group of the Palestinian Arab minority in Israel. They face institutionalized discrimination by the state, including the denial or neglect of basic socio-economic services, and severe violations of their land and housing rights through home demolitions and land confiscations.
Through a combination of legal action, international advocacy and media outreach, community participation, and documentation and publications, Adalah and NCF are working to protect Bedouin communities at risk of forced displacement and to improve their living conditions, including securing access to schools, health clinics, water, public transportation, and more.
- Documentation Workshops: Working with Arab Bedouin women from unrecognized villages to document human rights violations in their communities through videos and photo stills.
- Short Video Workshops: Training Arab Bedouin women to communicate with the general public in Israel and abroad through short films.
- Adalah and NCF: UN body to Israel: Address key issues regarding Bedouin citizens, discrimination against non-Jews, 1 April 2019.
- Adalah: Bedouin families, human rights groups to Israeli Supreme Court: Stop construction of dangerous phosphate mine in Naqab desert, 25 February 2019.
- Adalah: Israel announces massive forced transfer of Bedouin citizens in Negev, 30 January 2019 | The Strategic Plan of the Bedouin Development Authority (translated from Hebrew).
- Adalah: Disenfranchised: Thousands of Bedouin citizens prevented from voting in upcoming Israeli election, 11 February 2019.
- Adalah: Israeli military industries moving massive testing facility to south, 1,200 Bedouin structures at risk of forced displacement, 2 December 2018.
- Adalah: Adalah demands Israel open high school in unrecognized Bedouin village of Al Zarnouq, 18 November 2018.
In the News
- The Jerusalem Post | Bedouins Forced to Destroy Their Own Home in the Negev, by Yasser Okbi/Maariv, 2 July 2019
- Local Call (Hebrew) | Uri Ariel’s farewell party: the uprooting of 36,000 Bedouin from their homes, by Haia Noach, 7 February 2019.
- Al Jazeera English | Demolition highway: Israel plans to force Bedouins from home, by Ben White, 27 January 2019.
- Local Call (Hebrew) | A thousand Bedouin families heard from the media that they’re about to be evicted, Yael Marom, 14 January 2019.
- Local Call (Hebrew) | Uri Ariel is stepping on the ruins of Bedouin homes on his way to the Knesset, by Haia Noach, 5 January 2019.
- Local Call (Hebrew) | Polluting IMI plant leaves Ramat Hasharon and lands on the Bedouins in the Negev, by Yael Marom and Oren Ziv, 30 November 2018.
Follow our work via:
Facebook: Adalah and NCF | Twitter: Adalah and NCF
Instagram: Adalah and NCF | Newsletters: Adalah and NCF
This project is a joint project with Adalah, produced with the financial support of the European Union. It’s contents are the sole responsibility of NCF and Adalah and do not necessarily reflect the views of the European Union